I have to say after a long while I've not had such a fruitful chat with anyone already. It was Good Friday tonight and I had gone to church for our Good Friday service. We had a simple skit and preaching by Ps. Carl Butler. Wasn't concentrating too much because Wei Wen was disturbing me. Don't worry, its a Wei Wen from church. I felt the previous year's drama was more dramatic and had more feel to it. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions right? Anyway, had a jolly good time after that just chilling while the sick were being prayed for.
Hanged around with Vincent a little to catch up on "old" buddy times from not too long ago (just back in February I guess?). Anyway, at last we had good laughs and picking around here and there. Afterwards he disappeared and here comes his elder bro Danny. I have to do a little intro here for Danny. He is about 25/26 and just graduated from some Roff????? University in Sheffield, UK with a Masters in International Trade and Consumer Law la. In short, he has a Masters in Law. He's an extremely intelligent and sleek dude. Seriously, it is him I'm meaning about having the fruitful conversation with. Probably I've known Vincent a little well thats why I immediately clicked with Danny. We went all over talking about Studies, Career prospects, studying in UK, Man U~ -.-", and many more. He's the kinda guy I really admire. Like I've said before, I like to look ahead and plan plan plan for my future. I'd probably laid many plans for my future already all pathed out till I'm 30. So as I was saying, I'd always love the idea of exploring different routes and options and I had definately asked about studying law but his answer was the perfect one. I can't totally give you the quoted answer but I'll rephrase it and I'll share it with ya'll.
Right now, career prospects are not so much focused on Degree/Master qualifications but lesson you've learnt through it. I really liked the idea. Jobs now do not really require one to be so specialised but the one thing he pressed on was lessons and the growing process of maturity through Uni, living overseas, living alone, and being all independent. At the end of the day whatever field you are put in if you don't have the tenacity and determination you'd never succeed and likewise, if you have what it takes in your heart, whatevar and wherever you are put in, you'll definately push towards it, whether you are a medical student, singer, or even a rubbish collector. Point is its never of what you study. I liked what he said at one point. Immediately when he graduated he was all excited about just getting his certificate and just left his knowledge with the books because we'd probably never use them anymore. I quickly found that to be hypocrisy when he said if you have the "thing" for life you'd definately succeed and he "left" the knowledge in a way. But he countered that saying that it is so actually true that we really don't use what our textbooks say anymore but what we can and should bring with us is the character that we've built through the course of time as we are slowly moulded through lessons we learn living all alone in foreign ground. That's why organizations now push so much on character and discipline because these 2 will shape our future. These 2 factors can determine success or defeat, happiness or disaster.
Just a simple 30 minute conversation can make or break someone. Probably some of you are just blinking eyes wondering what big a deal he has said but you've just missed one of the most important lessons in life. Sometimes we have all the answers in life, all right in-front of us, but we never take the time and just listen to the wind. Forgive me if I've not conveyed his message in perfection to you guys, but as much as I want to, I'd like to share any knowledge I can with all of you out there wherever you may be in hopes you learn as much as I do and use your life for good. It ain't about the course you study, neither is it about the Uni you go to, neither is it about the job you get, but it all comes down to your character and the spirit thats living in you.
I've so much to share with you but I guess I'll leave some to self discovery as how I came to understand. The best way to learn is always self discovery (although physical self discovery need not apply here) and I always encourage each and everyone to slowly learn from your OWN mistakes but of course with a few guidelines and help from people around us and angels like Danny. Take care ya'll!
PS: Danny, correct me if I've misquoted anything here. Feel free to correct me ;) kor kor? :P
In all humility,
-jOhN "thinking" LiM-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment